Once upon a time in Xelajuj no'j

Photo by: F. Rodríguez.

My ancestors were forced to forget their original language, but they didn't. Nevertheless, when I was a child my parents decided not to teach me how to speak K'iche' to make my life easier in Guatemala due to discrimination against indigenous people and our culture.

Speaking Spanish was, in some way, more convenient, it was an advantage, it gave access to better education and social integration. My parents knew bilingualism was important so that English got into my life since childhood. But I didn't like it untill I finished university.

Now, when I think about languages I do understand their importance for anybody in terms of everyday and academic skills, and more importantly, as a pivotal element of identity. Now I do understand that both English and Spanish are critical parts of my identity.

Since K'iche' is the original language of my people, by the end of the day, for me it doesn't make a big difference by picking up either Spanish or English. Both are foreign languages and I like them. Now I understand that language is rather a bridge, not a wall between people.

Language learning, as well as identity and culture, are lifelong journeys. They make you a comprehensive person, a real human being. I hope I can learn K'iche' in the coming up years as well as Japanese and Chinese. I'd like to strengthen this bridge between cultures and people.

Comments

Popular Posts